Quorn Deconstructed Cottage Pie
If you're short on time then try this quick and easy deconstructed cottage pie, cooked in 15 minutes. Our take on this classic is made with Quorn Mince topped with a potato and swede mash.
16 g of fat
10 g of fibre
- 300g Quorn Mince
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, very finely chopped
- 2 carrots, medium, very finely chopped
- 2 sticks celery, medium, very finely chopped
- 1/2 small swede, small dice
- 450ml hot vegetable stock
- 2 tsp porcini mushroom paste
- 2 tbsp vegetarian Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, leaves removed from the stalks and chopped, plus sprigs to garnish
- 1 tbsp cornflour dissolved in 2 tbsp cold water
- 400g mashed potato (use up leftovers or pre made chilled mash potato available in supermarkets)
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 50g Cheddar
- 2 tbsp fresh chives, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Pre-heat the oil in a saucepan over a medium to high heat and add the onions. Gently fry for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the carrots, celery and swede, cover and cook for a further 3 minutes stirring frequently
- Stir in the hot stock and porcini mushroom paste, bring to the boil then cover and cook for 2 minutes on a high heat. Stir in the Quorn Mince, vegetarian Worcestershire sauce and the fresh thyme. Cover and cook on a medium heat for a further 7 minutes
- Meanwhile, preheat the grill. Mix the mashed potato with the egg yolk and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Place in a microwaveable bowl, cover and cook on full power for 5 1/2 minutes. Stir in half of the cheese and all of the chopped chives. Make circles of potato approximately 8cm in diameter and 1cm deep using for example a cookie cutter. Place them on a greased oven proof sheet, sprinkle over the remaining cheese and grill for 1-2 minutes until golden brown and warmed through
- Add the cornflour and water to the Quorn Cottage Pie, continue to simmer stirring continuously for a 1-2 minutes until thickened then season to taste
- Serve a hearty spoonful of Quorn Cottage Pie topped with a golden potato topper
Serve with a selection of freshly steamed vegetables.
Did you know? Keep your potato skins on for extra fibre (and less peeling!). Fibre is important to include in our diet to keep our digestive system healthy.
This recipe uses potato and swede mash but you could also use veg like celeriac or sweet potatoes!
Recipe inspirationSee all recipes
The nation has spoken
Rate & review
Leave a star rating and/or a review for this recipe. Your feedback will help the nation to make smart shopping choices, and we'll use it to learn & improve our recipes.Leave a review