We have a Palm Oil policy for Quorn branded products.
Quorn Foods are aware that there are a range of important environmental and social concerns regarding the production of palm oil, a natural vegetable oil widely used in the food industry.
As part of our ongoing drive to improve all aspects of sustainability in our business, we are members and active supporters of the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil, RSPO, which has developed a globally recognised standard and certification scheme for sustainably produced palm oil.
We believe it is necessary to use one well-established and recognised system to achieve progress at scale and provide full assurance that the standards of production across our supply chain are sustainable. That is why Quorn Foods ensure that all of our suppliers and industry partners adopt the RSPO standard, plus in 2017 Quorn Foods achieved full RSPO Supply Chain Certification.
Quorn Foods use as small amount of palm oil as possible. All of the palm oil that we use is RSPO certified sustainable, with 98.9% being certified under the segregated supply chain model. We are working to make the final 1.1% certified under the segregated supply chain model and we should have this completed by the end of May 2019. Our usage of palm oil represented just 0.0006% of palm oil produced globally on an annual basis.
We apply the following policy for palm oil usage in our Quorn branded products:
- We minimise our use of palm oil, and we aim to use the healthiest possible oils in our products, therefore where possible oils such as sunflower or rapeseed are used.
- We only use RSPO certified sustainable palm oil in products where palm oil is necessary for its unique properties, 98.9% is of which is certified under the segregated supply chain model. The remaining 1.1% is certified under the mass balance supply chain model, but we're working to move this to segregated by end of May 2019.
- For more information on RSPO and their certification schemes, please visit the RSPO website at http://www.rspo.org/.