Quorn Pieces Saucy Pancake Traybake
Blending up lots of lovely veg into a tasty tomato sauce means that your kids will be getting their 5-a-day before they even know it. Quorn Pieces taste great with our thick sauce, and even better baked in cheese-topped pancakes.
- 350g Quorn Pieces
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow pepper, de-seeded and diced
- 1 medium aubergine, cubed
- 1 small courgette, sliced
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 220 ml vegetable stock
- 4 heaped tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 tbsp basil leaves, plus extra to serve
- For the pancakes
- 100g plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 300 ml milk
- Sunflower oil, for frying
- For the topping
- 4 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 3 tbsp grated hard cheese
- Preheat the oven to 190C/ 375F/Gas Mark 5.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan on a medium to high heat and brown the pepper, aubergine and courgette then remove from the pan. Turn down the heat and fry the onion gently until softened then add the garlic, browned vegetables, vegetable stock, tomato puree and sugar and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, basil leaves, season then bring to the boil and simmer for a further 5 minutes. Carefully use a stick blender or potato masher to make the mixture into a sauce. Add the Quorn Pieces and return the pan to the heat to simmer for another 5 minutes.
- While your sauce is cooking, make the pancakes. Sift the flour into a large bowl and make a dip in the middle. Break the eggs into the centre and, using a balloon whisk, carefully mix together the eggs and flour. Slowly add the milk until you have a smooth mixture. Heat a medium frying pan over medium heat. Add a little sunflower oil and, when it’s hot, add enough pancake mixture to cover the base of the frying pan. Cook for 30 seconds - 1 minute, then carefully flip the pancake and cook for another minute or so. Set aside on a plate to cool while you make the rest of the pancakes. The mixture should make about 8 pancakes.
- When the pancakes are all made, carefully divide the Quorn Pieces and sauce between the pancakes, roll up then lay in an oven dish. Place them alongside each other so they fit in one layer. Top with the breadcrumbs and cheese then cook for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown. Scatter with basil leaves and serve.
The Quorn Pieces Saucy pancake recipe also tastes great used to fill cannelloni tubes, or as a filling for tortilla wraps.
Recipe inspirationSee all recipes
The nation has spoken
Rate & review
Leave a star rating and/or a review for this recipe. Your feedback will help the nation to make smart shopping choices, and we'll use it to learn & improve our recipes.Leave a review